Sunday 9 September 2007

Decision making - What makes you tick?

Discover your Core Values.
How many times have you had a decision to make and you just can’t seem to feel comfortable about what you want or have to do? We often make choices and struggle to find the motivation to take them forward. I have had countless times when I have felt uncomfortable with a decision I need to make or having made a choice have felt something holding me back;stopping me from actually getting on with it. After closer reflection I usually discover that my choice is either moving me away from my values or conflicting in some way. It helps to have a better understanding of what our core values are.

What’s important to you?
Our values are the internal compass that guides us through life. Whether we are conscious of them or not, they are behind all of our thoughts and actions. Without even knowing it we make choices based on our core values and their underlying meaning to us as individuals.

This then has an effect on our choices and decision making. When we make decisions in support of our values, we feel confident and motivated, which helps us to build a passion for achieving the things we want to do. If, however, we make choices that take us against our values, we become uncomfortable and feelings of unrest and unhappiness can set in. This feeling is frequently referred to as ‘gut instinct’.

Try this simple values elicitation exercise to help you understand what is really important to you...read more

No comments: